Thursday, December 15, 2011

How to schedule a play-date for kids with disabilities?

My son is Autistic and has been in a developmentally delayed class for a few years now. I was excited when I found out that we were was finally going to be able to have the opportunity to be around others that understand. I thought that others in this situation branched out and showed support. Hardly the case... Parents in the class keep to themselves and aren't really social? For 3 years I have invited around 20 kids each time for my sons birthday party and have had very little success. One year no one came. We have also joined a group for Autistic children. They don't even communicate with each other!!??... They get together once a month and that's it.





With that being said, my son is showing a lot of social progress. It's a happy time and yet a very sad one for us.My husband and I are both military and have finally settled in a home far from our family. Our son literally has no one to play with. He tries to play with other kids, but due to his lack of social skills other children kinda look at him like he's a freak. It saddens me. Well, I would like to arrange a play-date with the other kids in his classroom because I'm sure that some of the other kids/parents have experienced this. This is a very important opportunity for both my son and I. In past circumstances, I haven't done so well with having a good turnout to our events. I want to make sure that I schedule it a a comfortable time and place. I don't have the phone numbers, e-mail or addresses of the other parents in class. So I will have to send invitations through his teachers. Can anyone please give me advice on how to make a successful play-date? Thank you and have a good day!|||There should be other Autistic children at school. Autistic children at my son's school had separate classes from the other students. My son and another Autistic boy, Kevin, had classes together. They bonded and have a wonderful friendship.





Until my son was 10, the only people who attended his birthday parties were our immediate families. No one outside the family would attend. I guess people are afraid they will "catch Autism", so they stay away. It is very hurtful, but I did notice that my son didn't notice until I said something about it. So, now, I do not let him know if I am upset.





So, my suggestion, invite one friend from his class for a play date.

No comments:

Post a Comment